Powered By Blogger

Friday, February 26, 2010

And bring on the next......

My oldest daughter is not what you'd call athletic.
But she tries.
She tried soccer when she was 5 and then again this year.

Last year she tried Tennis for the first time.

In Junior High she played one year of Volleyball.

She just finished her first year of wishing she could play managing the basketball team.

The ONE sport that has lasted is swimming. She has been  part of a summer swim  league for the past 5 years. I haven't talked about that much here, but trust me summer is coming and I will.

Yesterday she came home and said she signed up for track.
Then she started crying.

I tried to sound real upbeat and encouraging, because I knew that's what she needed.

She said she wanted to get in shape for swim this summer and at the time it sounded like a good idea. Run around a track all afternoon with some big scary guy coach yelling at you not to stop.
She had forgotten that it actually involved meets.
So we spent some time going over the events she could possibly do.

I made it clear that she was not to even attempt the hurdles.
That sounds mean, but just trust me.

We thought maybe the long jump. You land in a nice pile of soft sand.
She was too worried it would get in her hair.

She can't do any of the throwing events because she has a shoulder injury.
from swimming.

Finally we just started laughing.
I told her how amazing and brave I thought she was and that I love how I never know what to expect from her. And that I wish I could not take life or even my own limitations so seriously.

That night as she was going to bed, she yelled...
"Bring on the next!" in a strong confident voice.

All I can say is.......stay tuned.

5 comments:

Sandra Burns said...

LOL!!!

Karen Hossink said...

Sometimes, the only thing that really makes sense to do is - laugh. A lot! *grin*
Glad you had this time wth your daughter. You're wonderful!

Carpool Queen said...

Great attitude - I laughed at "Bring on the next!"

That may be my rally cry this week.

Gretchen said...

My dtr, also not as athletic as she might be, is also signing up for track. You know...the same sport that broke her heel last year. But you know what? She's fearless. Good for her and for your dtr. "Bring on the next", indeed.

Mommas Soapbox said...

At least she wants to try everything. I give her an "A" for effort and an "A" for Attitude! She must get that from her Momma. (smile)