Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 9, 2010

A review and an idea

I just read

The Time Traveler's Wife
by
Audrey Niffenegger


I did not see the movie awhile back but I had really wanted to.

I thought the book was...........weird.
I loved the idea; Time travel, a timeless love story........
but it was kinda slow and at times pointless and what really got me was the language and the s. e. x., like it just seemed a little much at times....

So this brings me to my idea.........
I think books should totally have a rating system like movies do.
It could be small little square in the back with a G to an R and tell you why; how much bad language, how detailed s. e. x. scenes were described......etc.

I love to read. I read alot and I can read fast. I love all kinds of books. But I do try to be careful with what I read, just like what I watch. I rarely watch a rated R movie. It has to be something I really want to see, but at least with  a movie I can be warned about what I may see and make my decision beforehand.

What do you think? Good idea or totally breaks some kind of free speech writers rule?

7 comments:

Sandra Burns said...

I have wondered that, especially when by 7th grade your children can read almost anything. Why don't they have a rating system?

If they did would our kids read more? Hmmm . . . . makes you wonder?

Karen Hossink said...

I think it's a good idea.
I like it!

Sandra Burns said...

BTW I left you an award!

Such The Spot said...

I see your point. It would be nice to at least be forewarned about the language in certain books. I'm reading one now that needs a warning for potty-mouth...

That said, I liked Time Traveler's Wife. I agree with your thoughts on the sex and language, but I thought it was a brilliant, fresh story. Way better than the movie.

Anonymous said...

I loved Time Travelers Wife, but wouldn't let my daughter read it because of the sex.

I COMPLETELY agree with a rating system. Especially when my 8th grader came home and told me she was reading The Lovely Bones and I didn't know anything about it. I don't agree with censoring and taking books out of the library, but a rating system would keep my mind at ease.

Gretchen said...

I TOTALLY agree. I have been burned so many times on a book. I HATE it when I get into one and then bam! the author brings out the ugly language and sex. Then it is time for the battle of the mind. Do I still finish the book or walk away.

Ratings would be SO nice.
Thankfully there are LOTS of great Christian fictions available. I love a good mystery and Brandylin Collins and Terri Blackstock can write a good one. Our library has a huge inspirational fiction section. Love it!

BTW: Thank you for consistently leaving such encouraging comments on my blog. You make my day.

Gretchen said...

When I review books on my other blog, I try to give an accurate portrayal of the secular vs. spiritual content, but perhaps ratings like these would be helpful. Or kinda like recent TV shows (V-violence; S-sex, etc).