Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A summer update of sorts and memories

The girls survived their first ever out of country camping trip extravaganza.

They did things like scour the tiny town for a store that had marshmallows only to get back to camp and be too scared to venture off in the dark in search of sticks to use to roast them over the fire.
So they improvised, taking forks and sports tape and extra tent pegs to make their own.

It makes me smile thinking about her someday looking back on that weekend.

memories.


This weekend is my the girls'  last swim meet of the summer.
Well, there is one more, but we are choosing to skip it and spend the week with my family back on the coast. My parents and my sister and step-brother's families and maybe even some more extended family I have not seen in a few years, since moving.

Some memories are just more important than others sometimes.


My oldest daughter took the written part of the driving test today. She also took it 3 days ago and didn't pass but we are not mentioning that part. She passed! and is chomping at the bit to take the driving test.
I am not.
I still have memories of her riding in the car next to me ( before the whole stay in the back seat until your age 12 law) using a frisbee to pretend she was driving too.

Some memories make you cry.

3 comments:

Karen Hossink said...

Ah, but the memory that made you cry just put a huge grin on my face. What a precious picture! *grin*
My oldest is talking about taking driver's education (She's only 14.) and I am soooo not ready to be thinking about that.

Gretchen said...

My 14 year old is chomping, as well. Being a speech therapist and knowing what I know about brain development (only enough to be dangerous) makes me wish the driving age--especially for boys--was set at 21.

That said, I'm thrilled for your dtr. It IS a wonderful rite of passage. I remember having to wait till 18 b/c of finances, and that was hard.

Glad for all your memories this summer!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

wow...what a big accomplishment! congrats on being the mother of an almost-driver. i'm SO not ready for that step.

i'd probably skip the swim meet too. hope you have a great time!