Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Track

Remember when track first started and my daughter called home crying, a few times, and begged me to let her quit?

And I had to be that mean Mom and say No!

Sometimes being that mean Mom pays off.

Yesterday was a track meet and I got a call from a very happy girl who just wanted to call me and tell me how she got another  personal best time in the 100 yard race.
She was so happy and most importantly she was so proud of herself.

Of course her sister (the middle girl) kept trying to yell into the phone "Did you get first place? "
Because she's all about being first.

And no, she didn't get first, she most likely got last. But sometimes the race you have with yourself; your self doubting, scared, life's too hard self.....
means more than beating an actual other person.

I say it again, I am learning alot from this girl.

5 comments:

Sandra Burns said...

Great job O Mom! The race against yourself is the only one that counts in the long run anyway!

Sandra Burns said...

Surprise! I have something for you on my blog. Check it out!!

http://likechristmaseverysingleday.blogspot.com/2010/04/blog-award-it-was-honor-just-being.html

Karen Hossink said...

O Wow! (Which is O Mom, upside down. *grin*) I am learning a lot from her, too. Running my own kind of race this week - wanting to call it quits more than once - and thankful for the reminder not to compare myself with others. If I can acheive a personal 'best' each time I go to work, that will be a good thing.
Tell your daughter 'Thanks!' for me, please.

Love you!
Karen

Gretchen said...

Howdy! Thanks for your sweet email. I'm alive and kicking. And learning a lot from my little track star, too. She is usually last, but she's trying and having fun. And i find that my butt is sore at the end of the meet whether she wins or loses. ;)

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

This is not about track, but will you reply to this comment with your address? You won my cd! I'm working on my blog post about it now!